Location

There were several Chantry Chapels in the grounds of the Abbey. The Chantry hotel stands on the site of a Chantry chapel, which dates back to the 12th century. The main building is essentially Georgian and is adjoined by houses over four hundred years old, one of which has been incorporated into the hotel as the Tudor annexe. The building is grade 2 listed and stands in the heart of the Bury conservation area. On-site parking for each room is provided through a 19th century carriage access into what was formerly the yard of the local coach builder, Thomas de Carle.

Bury St Edmunds began as a Saxon settlement called Bedric's worth. Worth was a Saxon word meaning an enclosure such as a farm or hamlet surrounded by a stockade. In 630 Sigeberht the king of East Anglia founded a monastery there.

In 1214 the English barons met at Bury St Edmunds. They swore an oath in the abbey to force the king to accept Magna Carta. This gave rise to the town motto: 'Shrine of a king, Cradle of the law'.

In the Middle Ages Bury St Edmunds prospered through wool-manufacturing and was also an important market town. The abbey was closed by Henry VIII in 1539. The buildings were then 'cannibalised' by the townspeople and stones can be seen in the side wall of the Chantry, as well as many other places in town

Click to view The Chantry Hotel on a map

Local Attractions

St Mary's Church (1 minutes walk)
St Mary's Square (1 minutes walk)
Greene King Brewery tour centre (2 mins walk)
Statue of St Edmund (2 mins walk)
Georgian Theatre Royal (2 mins walk)
Norman tower (2 mins walk)
New Cathedral tower (2 mins walk)
Homes built into the Abbey ruins (2 Mins walk)
Churchgate Street (several first class restaurants) (3 mins walk)
Churchgate-Street-several-
New shopping centre and entertainments venue (8 mins walk)
Abbey Gardens (4 mins walk)
Abbey Gateway (5 mins walk)
Angel Hill (5 mins walk)
Individual shops and restaurants on Abbeygate Street. (6 mins walk)
Market square (markets on Wednesday's and Saturdays) (7 mins walk)